Cooking Time: 2 hours
I love this Chinese chicken curry recipe because of its silky texture and in-depth flavour. This is the perfect Saturday night dinner! (it is much better and healthier than a Chinese takeaway) – Not only do you get more control over how many calories you are consuming but It is also a really easy recipe to follow even for a beginner. Below are instructions on how to cook it.
- 1 brown onion (Diced)
- 500 g diced chicken
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Medium Curry powder
- 3 Heaped tbsp plain all-purpose flour
- 600ml of boiling water
- vegetables (optional)
- Start by dicing your onion, cook in a large saucepan with 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Once it has softened and starts to brown, add diced chicken and stir regularly until seared (Approximately 10 minutes).
- Add the curry powder, stir thoroughly and cook for a further 2 minutes. After that add your chicken stock/cube and stir cooking for a further one minute. Add the 3 tbsp of flour, stir the flour thoroughly into the onion and chicken mixture, and reduce to low heat. Slowly start adding the boiled water, whilst continuously stirring over a 5-10 minute period producing a smooth sauce. You will need to work fast to ensure that no lumps form throughout, season with salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Transfer into an oven-safe dish, and cover with a lid or foil. Cook on 160 degrees (gas mark 3) for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stir every 30 minutes, add more boiling water if necessary. Serve with your choice of rice, and naan bread (Cook according to package instructions).
- Enjoy your Chinese style chicken curry!
This recipe can be adjusted to different meats such as lamb or beef using a stock suitable for that meat. If making a beef curry this recipe will work very well if you are using a slow cooker.