This mackerel rice is banging. Not only that it's simple to make and is a quick way to satisfy your cravings for good food and an easy lunch. Struggle no more, trying to figure out what to have and always have mackerel rice as your backup plan. If your feeling fishy about mackerel, then swap it out for a meat or vegetable that you do like. Haven't tried fishy rice? Don't write it off! This recipe serves one so feel free to double up or quadruple.
- Olive Oil (Drizzle)
- White Basmati Rice (1/2 cup)
- Vegetable Stock (400ml)
- Mackerel Fillets in Tomato Sauce (200g)
- Dried Oregano (Pinch)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Start by drizzling a little olive oil into a large saucepan, let it heat up and add the rice. Continually, mix for a couple of minutes until the rice becomes slightly transparent. Turn the heat down and then prepare your stock.
- In a jug combine 400ml of water with a stock cube and mix to dissolve. Then open up your tin of mackerel and add it to the rice.
- Break up the fish with the back of a wooden spoon, add the dried oregano, a pinch of salt and black pepper then add in your stock. Give it one last mix then simmer. Once the water has evaporated the rice is ready to eat. Enjoy! Also feel free to experiment adding other ingredients that you like, I have tried this recipe with Tomato Ketchup which adds a slight tang to the dish, but also I have tried it with chilli, vinegar and garlic puree. I wish I could try your version.