This vegan cheese spread contains no dairy and is made entirely from plants, but don't let that fool you, it tastes just like the real thing but better. The main difference being that it is a powerhouse of nutrition. The nuts are a great source of vitamins and minerals and so are the other ingredients. Overall, this vegan cheese spread can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet and can be spread on crackers, on toast or throw it into a pasta sauce.
- 310g cashew nuts
- 60ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- small handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 6-8 chives
- Place a medium saucepan of water on a high heat, once boiled put the cashews into it for 15 minutes. Alternatively soak them overnight in cold water.
- Drain the nuts and pop them into a food processor or liquidiser with 30ml fresh water then whizz for 60 seconds un till you have a smooth, creamy paste with no bits.
- Add in your remaining 30ml water, salt, coconut oil and the nutritional yeast (You want thick, gloppy consistency so add more water if necessary)
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice catching any pips in your other hand, peel the garlic and add it to the food processor or liquidiser, whizz for a few more minutes until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the side with a spatula every now and then to make sure everything is mixed.
- Transfer the completely smooth mixture to a bowl, finely chop up the parsley and chives and stir them into the mixture with a spoon.
- Lay out a large piece of cling film on a clean work surface and spoon the mixture into the middle.
- Fold over the cling film and roll up the cheese into a log shape, squeezing out any air and tightening the ends of the cling film as you go.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set fully.