Preparation time: less than 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 to 30 mins
What a fantastic variation of the classic chicken fajitas, jackfruit is a popular vegetarian and vegan choice as it has a great texture that is similar to meat. It falls apart like pork, it has tons of health benefits and overall is a perfect meat alternative.
In this recipe, we combine sweet red pepper, red onions and jackfruit with a fail-proof Mexican blend for the ultimate fajitas. Scoop them up with a flatbread wrap or taco shell and you will be on your way to a super delicious midweek dinner.
You can enjoy this fiery with chilli, simple with tomato passata or as a sweet BBQ flavour. Once you taste this recipe, I guarantee this will be a new favourite! It is a definite hit with our children, they prefer a milder taste and not too many chillies, but we add a little cayenne pepper or chilli’s sauce to our own to spice it up.
- Red Bell Pepper (1)
- Red Onion (1)
- Olive Oil
- Fresh or Dried Chilli (optional)
- Fajita seasoning (1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, a large pinch of sea salt, and black pepper)
- Tomato Passata (200ml) / BBQ sauce (100ml)
- Tin of Jackfruit
- Wheat Tortilla Wraps (see my recipe)
- Heat up a frying pan with a little olive oil. Then add your diced bell pepper, and red onion. Cook until softened.
- Add the jackfruit and cook for a few minutes, then add you fajitas seasonings and cook dry for one minute.
- Add either the tomato passata BBQ sauce and mix well. If the sauce is too thick add a little water to get the right consistency but be careful not to add too much otherwise it will make the wraps soggy.
- Once the mixture is all good, add it to fresh tortilla wraps with lettuce if you’d like. Enjoy!