What is Fairtrade?
Fairtrade is recognized around the world, but what is it? Well, many farmers and workers - men and women are being underpaid, they are not earning enough to afford the basics that many of us take for granted; food, education, housing, because they are not earning a living income, and they deserve more.
By purchasing fair trade goods you are raising the bar, giving producers more money for their hard work, allowing them to grow their businesses and live with dignity. We will continue to partner with fair trade suppliers, and we hope that you trade fair, the power is in your hands.
What is Fairtrade Fortnight?
For two weeks each year groups of individuals and companies across the UK join together to celebrate fairtrade fortnight. Celebrating fairtrade farmers who grow our food, and the cotton for our clothing. Without fairtrade these people are often paid poorly, mistreated and barely make enough money from there hard work to make a comfortable living.
Fairtrade Fortnight will be back in 2020. From Monday 24th February to Sunday 8th March.
We have been supporting fairtrade since the beginning when we opened our online store. For the year 2020, we are going to be giving you a 20% discount on all of our products to encourage the sale of fairtrade. This is our largest discount yet, and this is to celebrate this tradition and to spread more awareness.
We should all be paid equally, and by purchasing only fair trade products, you are paying for a fairer world by saying no to slave labor, and reducing exploitation! The only range of ours that is not fair trade is our one-offs, and that is because most of them were made by myself using recycled materials!
How Will You Celebrate This Fairtrade Fortnight?
Explore Carved Cultures large range of arts and craft, bags, clothing, jewellery, candles and holders, coasters, diffusers, and oil burners, furniture, kitchenware, ornaments, soft furnishings, keyrings, drums, guiros, instrument packs, shakers, and woodwind instruments! I will be sure to enjoy a few bars of fairtrade dark chocolate throughout these 2 weeks!
Fairtrade Fortnight Facts
- Fairtrade Fortnight started in Edinburgh in 1997
- Fairtrade Fortnight is celebrated in a number of countries around the world, including Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
- There are over 100,000 Fairtrade campaigning groups in the UK, and over 4,500 Fairtrade Labelled products for sale.
- Fairtrade Fortnight takes place every year.
Why buying fairtrade is important
- Fairtrade provides safer working conditions for workers. Stricter requirements mean that there are better health and safety conditions and this prevents workers from being exploited in the workplace.
- A fair wage is given to those individuals living in poverty and this provides them with the fair trade minimum which ensures producers get paid a fair amount regardless of the volatile market which helps them take control of their business and invest in the future.
- No child labour is involved in fair trade, in fact kids under 18 years old are banned from partaking in work that can endanger them.
- Fairtrade provides guidance to farmers to help them lower their impact to the environment by teaching them best practises to be fairer to the environment.