Preparation time: less than 10 mins
Cooking time: About 30 mins
This is a simple, yet tasty dish. The Arborio rice helps make it super creamy and the wine adds a delicious tang that when paired with the tiger prawns, butter and garlic becomes ridiculously good! In Italy they do tend to use parmigiano cheese in most risotto dishes. Feel free to use it but just know that it won't be missed in this dish.
- Chicken or vegetable stock (500ml)
- Olive oil (3 tbsp)
- Shallots (4)
- Garlic cloves (3)
- Arborio rice (2 cups)
- White wine (½ cup)
- Prawns (200g)
- Butter (2 tbsp)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fresh herbs (Optional)
- Get all your ingredients.
- Prepare your chicken broth in a pan and bring to a low heat.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan and cook raw prawns for a few minutes or until cooked.
- Add shallots and garlic, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes; don't let them brown.
- Stir in the rice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes longer until some grains begin to look translucent.
- Add wine or 1/2 cup chicken broth; cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Then add about 1/2 cup of simmering chicken broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Then add more broth, about 1 cup, at a time and stir.
- Cook for around 20-25 minutes. The rice should be tender, but firm in the centre; taste the rice to be sure that it is ready. When the rice is done, remove the pan from the heat and stir in butter and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until melted, then serve.
Delicious side dishes for this type of risotto
- Pan seared scallops
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Fresh leaf salad