This recipe is a must try, why? Because its simply the best, its tasty, easy, they look amazing. They always go down great as an after dinner treat or to be enjoyed with a cup of tea, or coffee. Good luck in your cooking journey and get ready to be asked to bake these all the time, they are just delicious.
- Puff pastry sheet properly thawed (245g)
- Salted butter (1/2 cup)
- Soft brown sugar (1 cup)
- Ground cinnamon (1 tbsp)
- Egg (1)
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4
- Add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon into your chosen mixing bowl and stir well to combine together.
- Lay the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to avoid sticking.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar mix onto the puff pastry sheet.
- Gently roll up the edges and continue rolling until you have a rolled up sheet, doing so as lightly as you can to avoid breakage. You may need to lightly moisten the edges to stick together.
- Safely using a sharp knife cut up the rolled puff pastry into 1 to 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Place the pieces on non stick baking paper to avoid them sticking to the pan. Brush the tops of the swirls with the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown, don’t worry if the cinnamon sugar leaks onto the paper there will still be plenty of flavour in the pastry.
- To finish remove the swirls and place onto a wire rack to cool. Once they have cooled dust them with icing sugar and serve with a cuppa tea, coffee or drink of your choice.
Cinnamon swirls: Frequently asked questions
Where did cinnamon swirls originate?
cinnamon rolls originated in Sweden (Northern europe) and were called kanelbulle. They are celebrated on October 4th. Cinnabon's are a similar pastry that has the same flavour, the main difference is that they are glazed on top with an icing, sometimes contain pecan nuts and were created in Seattle.
Are cinnamon swirls healthy?
Even though the main flavour is from the medicinal spice cinnamon, the pastry is in fact very unhealthy due to containing large amounts of saturated fat and sugar. You should not eat these every day and should only eat them as an occasional treat.