Coconut Ice is a well-known sweet in the UK. It is created by blending together desiccated coconut, condensed milk, sugar, and occasionally, red food coloring or vanilla extract. Despite its name, there is no ice used in the preparation of coconut candy. It is a delightful and uncomplicated dessert that is often savored during festive seasons or special events.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 drops of red food colouring
- Combine the icing sugar and desiccated coconut in a mixing bowl.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract to the mixture. Mix until a dough forms.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Add two to three drops of red food colouring to one of the portions and mix until the dough becomes pink.
- Line a small square baking tin with parchment paper.
- Press the white dough into the bottom of the baking tin, ensuring it is evenly spread.
- Spread the pink dough evenly over the white dough.
- Chill the coconut ice in the refrigerator until it becomes firm, which usually takes about two hours.
- Once chilled, remove the coconut ice from the baking tin and cut it into small squares.
Coconut Ice (Frequently asked questions)
Is coconut ice easy to make?
Yes, coconut ice is very easy to make. The recipe only requires a few ingredients, and there's no cooking involved. All you need to do is mix the ingredients together, press the mixture into a pan, and leave it to set.
Can I make coconut ice without condensed milk?
No, condensed milk is an essential ingredient in coconut ice. It provides the sweetness and helps to bind the mixture together.
How long does coconut ice last?
Coconut ice can last for up to two weeks if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Can I freeze coconut ice?
No, it's not recommended to freeze coconut ice as it can affect the texture and taste of the candy.
Can I add different flavours to coconut ice?
Yes, you can add different flavours to coconut ice, such as vanilla or almond extract. You can also add food colouring to create different colours.
Is coconut ice gluten-free?
Yes, coconut ice is gluten-free as it doesn't contain any wheat or wheat-based products.
Can I gift coconut ice?
Yes, coconut ice makes a great gift for family and friends. You can wrap it in cellophane or put it in a gift box to make it look extra special.
Where did coconut ice originate from?
The origins of coconut ice are unclear, but it's believed to have originated in the United Kingdom.
Up Next: Coconut and Almond Macaroons Recipe