This hot chocolate is like no other. It is thick, rich, and sure to provide some happiness on those cold days. We love this hot chocolate over other types because you can make more than you need, place the rest in the fridge, and the next day, it turns into the perfect chocolate mousse. Unlike powdered hot chocolate, this one has an indulgent chocolate flavour without being overly sweet! Serve it in a glass with whipped cream or have it the traditional way - In a bowl for breakfast with an Italian cornet pastry.
- Double cream (1 cup)
- Granulated sugar (25g)
- Dark chocolate finely chopped (118g)
- Whipped cream (for garnish)
- Chocolate shavings (optional garnish)
- Whole milk, divided (1 cup)
- Cornstarch (1 tsp)
- Grab a medium saucepan and place on medium heat; Mix 3/4 cup milk, sugar and cream. Heat and mix well until it starts to bubble around the sides.
- Get a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch until they are well combined. Add this to the bubbling milk mixture and whisk until all heated together; this should take 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add in chocolate; mix until thick enough to coat the spoon.
- Turn the heat off and pour the hot chocolate into cups; garnish with cream and chocolate shavings if you like. Serve straight away as the drink will thicken the longer it is left.