This is guaranteed the best recipe I have tried, our best friend who is Iranian, he makes this recipe great but if i’m totally honest I prefer mine, I adjust his recipe to make it suit our needs and tastes. My children aged 3 and 4 tried it and were blown away by the amazing powerful flavours and the tender melt in your mouth lamb. This dish is actually considered the best national dish in Iran.
You will need to allow yourself around 2-3 hours to make this meal, as you will want to cook your lamb until it is super tender. It is essential to serve with fresh boiled basmati rice and I like to serve with some tzatziki sauce and flat bread.
– 400g Organic diced lamb shoulder
– 60g Fresh flat leaf parsley
– 4 Spring onions
– 1 Medium white onion Chopped
– 20g Fresh coriander
– 1/2 tin of cooked red kidney beans
– 4 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
– ½ Teaspoon of salt
– ½ Teaspoon of black pepper
– Vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
– 1 Tablespoon of turmeric powder
1. Wash and finely chop your parsley, coriander and spring onions, heat around 2 tbsps. of oil in a frying pan and cook them on a medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until soft and combined.
2. Turn off the parsley mix and set aside, meanwhile heat 2 Tbsps. of oil in a large stock pot/pressure cooker, once hot add in the chopped onions and cook until soft and slightly browned.
3. Add in your meat, turmeric, salt and pepper for around 5-7 minutes stirring continuously.
4. Add your cooked kidney beans, fried herbs and lemon juice to the pot and stir well.
5. Cover the mixture with water and cook on a medium heat, with a lid for 2 hours, keep checking on the meat and add salt and pepper when needed.
6. Transfer to an oven dish and cook on gas mark 4 for 45 minutes until the meat is tender enough and you are happy with the sauce.
7. Serve with rice and enjoy!