Brigadadeiro is a Brazilian take on the traditional chocolate truffle, instead of cream this recipe uses condensed milk. If you want to make it with evaporated milk, you want to add up to 150g sugar to it otherwise it may taste bitter, cooking may also take longer. If you want to, you can use salted butter and omit the salt.
Easy to make, but it does require constant stirring. Typically this is made with chocolate sprinkles however we prefer to use bittersweet dark chocolate. Feel free to use any type of sprinkles when making yours. They taste like sweet chewy fudge. When they are just made, they are like a soft toffee, but after some time in the fridge they will become harder. If you wanted to, you could use the mixture as a chocolate filling, and with the use of a mould, you can make your own sweet treats for parties.
- Condensed milk (400g)
- Cocoa powder (3 tbsp)
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Unsalted butter (1 tbsp)
- Salt (pinch)
- Grease a plate with butter and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter then place on a medium heat and mix well.
- After about 10-15 minutes the mixture will thicken. You can test if it is ready by moving a spatula through the middle, if it doesn’t comes back for at least 3 seconds it is done.
- Pour the mixture onto the greased plate and place it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the candy cups and place the sprinkles in a bowl.
- Once chilled, place sprinkles or chocolate shavings in a bowl and begin rolling the mixture out into truffles. Lightly wet your hands then put a tablespoon of the mixture in your hands and roll into a ball then cost in the sprinkles of your choice.
- They are ready to eat, however if they have started to melt, place them in the fridge to harden then enjoy.